- February 8, 2020: Burgundy Pinot Noirs -- Sold out
- April 18, 2020: Oregon Pinot Noirs, "Red vs. Black" -- Cancelled due to Oregon lockdown.
- June 27, 2020: High End Oregon Pinot Noirs ($80+) -- Cancelled due to Oregon lockdown.
- August 22, 2020: Chardonnays Around the World -- Sold out. Watch the entire tasting on video; part one and part two.
- October 31, 2020: Pinot Noirs Around the World -- Sold out.
Our blind tastings generally sell out weeks in advance. Each event is held on a Saturday morning at 11am. Please arrive promptly so everyone can begin tasting at once.
What is a Blind Tasting?Lenné Estate hosts 4-6 blind tastings each year. These events are open to the public and feature 8 wines for attendees to taste, rate, and rank. Each guest is furnished with eight glasses and is poured a sample of each wine for side-by-side comparison. Guests spend about half an hour tasting and evaluating and ranking their favorites.
The tasting and comparison is fun, but the real excitement comes during the reveal. Lenné staff double blinds all the selections; one person puts the bottles into bags, then a second mixes them up and numbers them 1-8. This way no one has any idea which wines are in which bags, and since there's always one Lenné wine mixed in, it's fun to try and find it, and of course we hope that one is highly rated by the group.
The reveal is done wine by wine, led by Lenne's proprietor/winemaker Steve Lutz. Steve is as in the dark as everyone else about which wines are which, and he starts with wine #1, asking who liked it or didn't, what people thought about it, etc, before pulling off the paper bag and revealing the identity. Steve then speaks a bit about that wine, the region, the vineyard, the winemaking techniques, etc, giving guests insight into why each wine shows as it does. This continues wine by wine and often results in applause, laughter, or gasps of surprise as the group discovers what they really think about the wines that they've never before truly blind evaluated.
The blind tasting concludes with lunch via a hearty antipasto board featuring meats, cheeses, breads, crackers, vegetables, pickles, olives, and other such fare. There are usually a few ounces left in each bottle, giving attendees the chance to revisit. We also include a tasting of Lenné wines in the ticket price, so guests who want more wine to taste in a non-blind format can do so.
Our blind tastings are themed so the wines offered are related and comparable. Examples:
- High end Oregon Pinot Noirs; all wines retailed for $100+.
- French Burgundies; 7 Pinot Noirs from France + 1 Lenne wine.
- Red vs. Black -- Oregon Pinot noirs, 4 from Dundee Hills (red) and 4 from Yamhill-Carlton (black).
- Oregon chardonnays, or Chardonnays from around the world.
- Pinot Noir around the world, includes wines from California, Oregon, France, and New Zealand.
Please join our email list or follow our events on Facebook to receive updates about upcoming blind tastings; we typically offer 4-6 per year and tickets go fast. Lenne wine club members receive their usual discount off tickets, and members of our Taproot Silver or Deeproot clubs receive 2 or 4 free passes to seated events each year.
Please let us know if you have additional questions or would like to book some spot(s) in our next blind tasting. Email us at email@example.com or call the tasting room: 503-956-2256.